Steel is Director California Club for Growth, the immediate
past president of the California Republican Party, activist,
commentator, conservative stalwart and a
co-founder of the Davis Recall. He is an attorney
practicing in Palos Verdes, California.
Who gets the credit?..
[Shawn Steel] 11/4/04
always the underdogs. The smart money, augmented by literally
10 billionaires, suggested this prop would coast to victory.
When the Governor endorsed prop 62 it was assumed by the newspapers
and pundits would bury any opposition. Of course, we knew when
voters understood the background and implications of the radical
Louisiana plan, they would reject it.
By killing this prop in California the disease will not spread.
There are many to thank for this victory.
- Leadership from all six political parties worked together
for the first time in California political history against
a common foe;
- Rather than give the lip service that the dems and reps
offered against the 1996 Open Primary, both parties took real
- The California Republican Party, through its Board of Directors
unanimously passed a specific action plan resolution in March
drafted by Ron Nehring and promoted by Jim Hartman;
- CRP Chairman Duf Sundheim cubically opposed this prop despite
warnings he received from a few establishment reps;
- CRP COO Mike Vallante and staff explicitly followed the
will and intent of the party by planning, initiating, following
and getting the money to spend the $1,000,000 needed to defeat
- Bob Mulholland [I almost hate to say this] cooperated with
the self preservation effort and help direct a statewide
slate mailing to over 5,000,000 dems against the prop;
- Chris Wysocki and David Gillard for the excellent work or
organizing the campaign and the brilliant written pieces
which were sent to millions of reps;
- Roy Ulrich is almost as energetic as me. He may be a commie
but what a wonderful ally and one tough adversary. Roy moved
mountains and was probably one of our most effective public
- John Fund of the Wall Street Journal for exposing this crass
attempt to remove ideas from politics to the national political
- Sen. Ross Johnson for adding Prop 60 as our insurance in
case the billionaires prevailed and Tony Strickland for radio
via Ca Club for Growth;
- To the
conservative/libertarian media [and liberal?] California
Orange County Register, Steve
Greenhut, John Kurzweil, Bill Saracino, Aaron Starr, Steve
Frank, Jon Fleischman,
Melanie Morgan, Mark Larson, Inga Barks, Rick Roberts, Larry
Elder and John & Ken.
Steel is Director California Club for Growth, a co-founder
of the Davis recall campaign and immediate past chairman
of the California Republican Party.
2004 Shawn Steel